Java Number Cruncher
This applet demonstrates polynomial regression. It uses the least squares algorithm to plot a regression polynomial of degree 1 through 9 among n data points, where n is at least one more than the degree.
To run the demo:
- Choose a degree for the regression polynomial.
- Click the mouse in the graph panel to set up to 100 data points, but at least one more than the degree.
- Click the Regression poly button to plot the regression polynomial.
- You can add more data points and click the Regression poly button again.
- You can choose a different polynomial order and then click the Regression poly button to plot a new regression polynomial among the same points.
- Click the Reset button to start over.
If the applet fails to create a regression function, try adding more points and press the Regression poly button again.